O Edifício-Monumento está fechado para obras de restauro e modernização

History of the Museu Paulista (Paulista Museum) - The Museum Paulista is closed for renovation

The Museu Paulista was inaugurated on September 07, 1895 as a museum of Natural History and representative milestone monument of the Independence, Brazil's and São Paulo's History. Its first collection belonged to Colonel Joaquim Sertório, which constituted a private museum in São Paulo.

In the period of the Independence Centenary, in 1922, the institution's historical character was reinforced. New collections were formed, with emphasis on the History of São Paulo. The internal decoration of the building was carried out, with paintings and sculptures presenting the History of Brazil in the Lobby, Stairway and Noble Room. The Republican Museum "Convenção de Itu" was installed, being an extension of the Museu Paulista in the inner of São Paulo State.

Throughout the time, several transfers of collections to different institutions were carried out. The last of them was in 1989, to the Museu de Arqueologia e Etnologia da USP (Museum of Archeology and Ethnology of the USP). Thenceforth, the Museu Paulista has been substantially increasing its collections referring to the period from 1850 to 1950 in São Paulo.

Currently, the Museu Paulista has a collection of more than 125,000 units, among objects, iconography, text documentation from 16th century until 20th mid-century, significant to the understanding of the Brazilian society, mainly with regards to São Paulo's history, counting on a specialized curatorship team. It also develops an Expansion Project for its facilities.